Monday, August 2, 2010

Back to our regularly scheduled programing...

Our summer vacation was lovely!  We went to Tybee Island, Georgia where all our goal, but one, were met.  I am tan.  I am rested.  Everyone had a wonderful time.  We rented a house so there was room to spread out.  I took lots of books and didn't read them because I was too busy napping.  I had planned on doing a lot of cooking but the kitchen left a lot to be desired. 

I knew I loved by Lemon Zester, but I didn't realize how much until I had to go without it.  I mean, this kitchen didn't even have a whisk!  So instead, we cooked simply and went out.

We ate at a couple fabulous restraunts including Paula Deen's "The Lady and Son's" and her brother Bubba's "Uncle Bubba's Oyster House"

I have a stack of new cookbooks, but this week everyone in the household got to pick their favorite, and tonight Betty picked shrimp and pasta and left the method of preparation up to me.  I have done a couple of shrimp and pasta dishes, but they've been garlic and lemon sauces, and pretty tart for the kids.  Tonight I took the favors down a notch and produced a winner.  Thumbs up from Big Mama and the Little Mouths and Picky Icky Little Mouth ate a whole bowl full, sans shrimp, but I was picking my battles.  And I got extra shrimp that way.



Shrimp and Pasta in Cream Sauce


1 12oz box of Ronzoni Garden Delight (A serving of veggies in 4 oz)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 minced shallots
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 pound shrimp
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup fat free half and half
1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese
1 Tablespoon fresh chives
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley


Cook shallots and garlic until translucent.  Melt butter in pan and add the lemon zest and shrimp.   
Deglaze with white wine and allow shrimp to cook through. 

Remove shrimp from the pan and add the flour.  Cook flour for a mintue or two, then deglaze the pan with the wine and chicken stock.  Add cream and cheese.  Return shrimp and add pasta to the pan and stir.  Toss with the fresh herbs and serve.

Very yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...