Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Parmesan Couscous with Carmelized Onions

Tonight I put this meal together in about 15 minutes.


I seasoned chicken breast with some kinda herbal rub I had in the pantry and browned them in a saute pan. Once they were seared on both sides I deglazed the pan with a bit of chicken stock, reduced to medium hear and covered to cook though.

While those bubbled away, I sauteed a small onion in the butter (add salt now), added garlic when it was just starting to brown, then the chicken stock.  Bring the chicken stock to a boil, dump in the couscous and stir.  Cover tightly and turn off the heat.  Let set for 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork and add the other tablespoon of butter and 1/4-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.

Add another pat of butter to the reduced chicken broth in the saute pan and drizzle sauce over chicken.

Cover again and allow cheese and butter to melt. I got busy with one of the little mouths and had to heat it again. I just added a bit more chicken broth and turned on the flame. 

Cook your favorite veggie and add it to the couscous for added nutrition. We microwaved some frozen carrots and mixed them it as well. I added some black olives to mine, too. It was really great and everyone gave it a thumbs up. Here's the recipe!

Parmesan Couscous with Carmelized Onions

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small yellow onion
2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
½ teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups couscous (12 ounces)
½ cup Parmesan cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...