Saturday, June 5, 2010

Aioli with Herbed Grilled Potatoes

It was a challenge to get my herb garden in the ground this year with all of the rain we've had...and I almost threw in the towel and didn't plant it at all.  But now that my little patch is full of lushious yumminess, I'm SO glad I did. 






I usually make this with roasted fingerling potatoes...but they are $8 a pound this time of year and I didn't feel like making the trip to Fresh Market.  In a few weeks, the farmers markets around here will be in full swing and I'll have ready access to the buttery deliciousness of the Russian Banana Fingerling potatoes. 

But today I made it with regular Russets on the grill.

Herbed Grilled Potatoes and Aioli


Potatoes:

4 Russet potatoes cut in 1/2 slices, then halfed.
A bunch of whatever herbs you have lying around.  I used Rosemary, Lemon Basil and Thyme.
2 Tablespoons olive oil.
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or so.  Then grill on medium until cooked through.  About 20 minutes or so, brushing them with the leftover marinade before turning.   

Aioli:

1 slice white bread with the crusts removed
2 tablespoons white wine or champaign vinegar
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 1/2 cups mayo (I used Kraft Olive Oil mayonaise)
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
Salt and Pepper

Tear up the bread and mix with vinegar.  Allow to sit for 5 mintues.  Squeeze out most of the vinegar and combine with the other ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.  The more vinegar the more bite.  I like mine really sharp, so I don't squeeze too much of the vinegar out.

Big Mama LOVES Aioli. I made it for the first time last summer.  Aioli is traditionally made with raw egg yokes and oil, but I didn't have any pasturized eggs (which are VERY expensive) and so I skipped the egg yokes and oil and just used mayonaisse.  Safe for the Little Mouths and to tell you the truth, I liked it even better. 

Aioli is great on potatoes, sandwiches and I much prefer it on fish over tartar sauce. 

The flavors are pretty strong and one Little Mouth likes it and one doesn't...but all three of us liked the potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. yum, yum, yum :-) I have a new potato recipe I'm trying today, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...