Saturday, September 10, 2011

Big Mama's Melon Sorbet

Our CSA has been delivering wonderful melons lately.  Watermelons, Cantaloupe and Honeydews abound.

I love melon fresh and what we haven't been able to use I've been freezing for smoothies when its past it's peak.  This week I had a lovely honeydew and decided to try something new, although I think it would work equally well with any kind of melon.

Big Mama's Melon Sorbet



2 pounds of any kind of melon
1 small 6 oz. can of pineapple juice (could use any sweet fruit juice)
3/4 cup flavored fizzy water (I used pomegranate)
1/2 cup grenadine for color and added sweetness

Puree all ingredients in a food processor or blender. I have this one and I love it!

Pour mixture through a strainer and into your ice cream maker. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for timing.  Mine took 20 minutes. 

I've heard you can freeze sorbets in a glass casserole dish in your normal freezer, then fluff it up with a fork before serving, but I haven't tried it.

The Little Mouths love this served in a glass, slightly melted like one of those slushies from 7-11 that I don't allow the Big Little Mouth to have since they make her act like a circus act!  Red dye and sugar are not her friend...but with this sorbet, nary a issue with behavior and that makes Big Mama very happy indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...