Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sorta Sole Meunière

The only fish I have ever cooked before tonight came in sticks.



It's true. For some reason, I have always been afraid to cook fish. The Little Mouths really love it, but if there was more to the preparation than opening the oven and shoving in a pan, I wouldn't do it.



I have prepared several of Julia Child's recipes since I saw Julie and Julia, but not the flagship...the first meal Julia had upon arriving in Paris...Sole Meunière.



Yesterday when the kids were in school, I went to Fresh Market and floated around the store to the classical music with my latte and found myself in front of the fish counter. I took a a deep breath and asked for two fillets of the American version of Dover Sole and left, twenty dollars poorer, but in possession of my very first flounder filets. (There was NO way I was going to cook a whole fish, with a head and everything, like in the movie)



Since I started with filet's I had to improvise but it turned out pretty great. This recipe gets thumbs up from Big Mama for taste and speed of preparation, but it’s expensive and has to go immediately from the pan to the plate.



The Little Mouths gave it a thumbs up but still said they'd rather have fish sticks...:-(



Sorta Sole Meunière



1 pounds of the best fish you can afford (I used Flounder)

4 Tablespoons butter

1/4 cup flour

Salt and pepper

1 Large Lemon

1 tablespoon chopped parsley



Season fish filets with salt and pepper. Melt three tablespoons of butter in a pan. Skim off the milk solids and place clarified butter in a separate bowl.



Dredge filets through flour and place in pan with a spoon of the melted, clarified butter. Brown on each side. Remove first batch from heat and place on pre-heated cookie sheet in a 200 degree oven. Add more butter and cook the rest of the filets. Remove the rest of the filets and wipe pan clean of browned flour.



Add any remaining butter to the pan along with the remaining Tablespoon. Melt and swirl in pan until it starts to brown. Add Lemon juice and chopped parsley. Poor over cooked fillets and serve.



Exceptionally yummy and very easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...