Monday, January 31, 2011

Meal Plan Monday

A couple of years ago I asked the Little Mouths what we should have for dinner.  They looked at each other and started to debate the merits of various restaurants and fast food places.  That was the instant I knew I had to learn to cook unless I wanted my beloved babies to grow up to be junk food junkies like me.

If we were going to eat decently during the week I knew I needed to come up with a plan. Because there is one think I know, and that's if I don't have a plan we'll hit McDonald's or Arby's because the mind that has been whirling a mile a minute for the previous twelve hours, can't fathom what to make for dinner if it's not listed on the refrigerator.

When I first started this cooking endeavor, I had Supper Thyme to lean on...one of those places where you made several meals to freeze.  When it closed, I had to come up with a new plan.

I didn't start off cooking as much as I do now.  I kinda worked my way into it.  I started making two meals, having one "freezer" meal, one breakfast meal and a TV dinner night.  Weekends don't count usually because there's plenty of time to plan, although now I usually plan at least one meal.  A freezer meal is when ever I make something that freezes well, like a casserole or taco meat I make two and toss one in the freezer.  That way I know I always have something to eat when we're home late or just as a relief from cooking every single night.  And I don't cook on Fridays.  Ever. Unless there is something terrible, like a blizzard.

Sometimes things don't go as planned, we are pressed for time or a new commitment gets shoved in the schedule, but for the most part we try to sit down as a family every night.  We each list our highs and lows for the day (the Obama's call it Roses and Thorns and the kids have taken to calling it that as well) eat whatever it is I manage to get on the table and catch up with each other. 

The Little Mouths sometimes wish they could eat in front of the TV like a lot of their friends, but I find even if I make an exception as a special treat, they migrate back to the table sooner than later anyway. 

Here's this week's meal plan, full of that great produce I found this weekend from the farmer's market.

Monday:  Make your own pizza on Naan, Caesar Salad
Tuesday:  Freezer Meal--Chicken Noodle Casserole
Wednesday:  Lemon Pasta with Shrimp and Parmesan Bread
Thursday:  Hamburger and Garlic Oven Fries
Friday:  EAT OUT!
Saturday:  Roasted Beet Salad

One cool thing...because I have been blogging more, my blog is getting a lot more traffic.  Thanks everyone!  Come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...