Saturday, January 15, 2011

A new challenge...

Some of you might remember my previous cooking challenges.  In Septemeber of 2008, I cooked a new recipe every night, and in 2010, I came up a bit short in my challenge to cook a new recipe once a week from Mother's Day to Christmas.

I probably did it...but I didn't always blog it.  Bad, Big Mama. 

So with the new year, I needed a new challenge, one that hopefully included loosing a few of the pounds I seemed to have gathered around my midsection lately.

Having failed at every diet known to man, I decided, along with eating less...to eat better.  Whole grains, check.  Lean protein, check. Fruit, check.  Veggies...well, nada.  Here might be the problem. 

I have never been much of a veggie eater.  As a child I sat at the table many an hour staring at congealing mushy peas or soggy green beans.  I finally learned to swallow them whole so I could have dessert. Not so good. 

But a girl can change, can't she?  I went from a a happy-go-lucky no strings girl to a happy mama...and I went from a reluctant microwaver to a competent home cook.  If I can do that, I can learn to eat my veggies, at last. 

But how? 

Every day I go by an organic farm on my way to work.  I usually look the other way, lest I feel guilty for not springing for the pricy organic stuff in the supermarket.  But I saw an episode of the Barefoot Contessa a few months ago about a farm that had a program you could join and receive a box of fresh vegitables every week.  I decided to see if there were any programs like that around here.  It turns out there is.  At the very farm I pass everyday on my way to and from work! 

Starting the week of March 8th, we will be taking part in a CSA group.  CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  Every week on Mondays, I'll be picking up our "share" for the week.   

The part of the challenge will be to use all of the veggies in the box and the other part will be to get all of us, especially the littler, Little Mouth, to like it!

March 8th isn't that far away.  Only six weeks or so. I can't wait to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...