Sunday, January 30, 2011

Soup-er Sunday

I am not a winter lover.  I really, really hate it and I dream about moving south.  One of the things I love about the south, and about summer in general are the farmer's markets. 

I just found out there is an indoor farmers market here in our city!  I had no idea, but this Saturday, the Little Mouths and I ventured out and make a haul!  There were only a few vendors, but we purchased potatoes, turnips, beets, butternut squash, onions and some arugula. 

So this is now, winter vegetables week!  Today's recipe...Roasted Butternut Squash Soup.  I took the inspiration from Ina, the Barefoot Contessa, but since I didn't have the recipe in front of me, I improvised.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup



2 Butternut Squash (squashes?) peeled and cubed
2 Apples (I used Braeburns) peeled, cored and cubed
2 Onions chopped in larger pieces
3 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
4 cups chicken stock
Creme' Fraiche or Sour Cream as garnish


Now let me tell you, it's not easy to peel a butternut squash.  I felt like I'd wrestled a walrus by the time I was done.  They are slippery little suckers, not unlike my ex-husband, but I digress...Be careful!  Next time I might roast the squash, then just scoop it out of the shell instead. 

Combine everything but the chicken stock and roast in the oven for 45 minutes. Puree, but leave some texture in a food processor or with a stick blender. Add to stock pot with 3-4 cups of chicken stock depending on desired thickness. Simmer on Medium-Low for 30 minutes or so. Garnish with a dollop of Creme Fraiche or Sour Cream.


Thumbs up from the Big Mama and the little mouths thought it was okay, but not their favorite.  I was proud of them for even trying, because they wouldn't have done that a year ago, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...