Tuesday, March 8, 2011

CSA Week One

It was so excited.  I pulled up to the little farm in my little Honda with the rest of the fuel efficient cars. My little car was so happy to fit in after being dwarfed by all of the SUV's at work all of the time. 

I wasn't quite sure what to do, but I saw some people in the barn and I went in there.  I checked my name off the list and got a bag of veggies out of the cooler. I got to choose two herbs from a nice large selection.  Since I'm normally too cheap to by too many fresh herbs in the winter time I was happy to find just some basics and got Rosemary and Chives this week.  There were several herbs I'm not quite sure how to use and I will save them for a week I need to shake things up.  A nice, big bunch of fresh Rosemary is a treat that I will use with the fingerling potatoes I got at Trader Joe's and will be serving with steak and Aioli later in the week. 

I also was given a new cookbook as a new member gift.  All in all, a very cool experience.  This is what I found in the bag when I got home. 




2 bags of mixed baby lettuces
2 bags Asian blend lettuce
2 bags spinach (will use in smoothies)
4 baby bok choy
Rosemary
Chives


We already ate one of the bags of lettuce for dinner with a creamy ranch dressing, turkey bacon and cheddar.  There's a huge difference in the flavor and the Little Mouths were a bit put off by it.  It's not your regular iceburg, but I have high hopes.  Tonight I used two other items I'll share in tomorrow's recipe.  All of it was SO good. 

The only negative thing is that when the Little Mouths were checking out the veggies and I was telling them what each thing was, the Littlest Little Mouth thought I said, b*tt choy instead of bok choy so now he giggles everytime his sister or I say bok choy.  Crazy Little Mouths.  Gotta love 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...