Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Rockin' Recipe ~ Pork Lo-mein


One of my favorite things about the Nook I got for Christmas, is the ability to have EVERY cookbook IN THE WORLD at my fingertips. The other cool thing, is if you are from Fort Wayne, you have a great selection available through our public library system, for free.

This week I checked out this new cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld:


Double Delicious!: Good, Simple Food for Busy, Complicated Lives

I own her first cookbook, Deceptively Delicious, and while I have used some of her tricks, I found the work involved in preparing all of the purees a little more than I have time to do.

While this new cookbook does utilize purees from her first cookbook, I have used Stage 3 baby food for the squash and sweet potatoes, and that seems to work just fine. This recipe is straight from her cookbook, I just added the bok choy from our CSA basket and some Chow Mein noodles for crunch and to entice the kids past the green stuff. However, I got home from work late and the kids had already been fed, but for this Big Mama, who never met a green veggie she would eat, LOVED IT. I ATE BOK CHOY and not only lived to tell about it, I loved it and hope it's in next week's box as well.

Two or three years ago, when my niece first moved into her own apartment after college, I bought her a wok. So did her mother and since the wok matched my pots and pans, I put it in my pan cupboard and there it has rested for a long, long time. Tonight. I. Used. It. I was nervous, but it was amazing. My first stir fry. What a night!

Pork Lo-mein
1-12 oz box whole wheat spaghetti
11/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth, plus 1/4 cup
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp sesame oil (roasted)
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 green onions (white ends only), thinly sliced
4-6 oz center cut pork chops, trimmed of fat and cut across the grain into 1/4" thick slices
Cook the spaghetti according to package directions and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the 1/2 cup chicken broth, sweet potato puree, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and cornstarch. Set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet (or wok) over MED-HIGH heat. Add the garlic, green onions, and pork. Cook until the garlic and onions become fragrant and the pork begins to brown, 4-5 minutes.

Add the soy sauce mixture and spaghetti to the skillet. Reduce the heat to LOW. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring well, until a thick sauce forms and coats the noodles. Add the remaining chicken broth if the sauce is too thick. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...