Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Alfredo as a Protein??

A couple of weeks ago, I accidentally bought a very large container of plain Greek yogurt. I usually purchase vanilla, and I had no idea of what I was going to do with it. It's full of protein and fat free...but I think plain yogurt tastes terrible.

Then I remembered flipping through a cookbook at the library a while back and seeing a recipe for a healthier Alfredo sauce. I have another in this blog that I love, love, love, but it is light and I thought this one looked very thick and creamy.

I served it over Ronzoni Garden Delight pasta so the Little, Little Mouth would actually get a serving of veggies.  I tossed in some grilled chicken breast and served it with a Caesar Salad.


12 oz. box of your favorite pasta
2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
1cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup fat free half and half 
Salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste

Follow directions on the pasta and cook in a large pot of boiling water until desired tenderness. 
Melt butter in saute pan and cook garlic for 1-2 minutes. Do not go check on science fair project while its on the stove. Garlic will burn quickly and you'll have to start over!

Add cornstarch and cook for a minute or so. Add chicken stock and stir well.  A kind of gravy will form.  Mix in the yogurt, cheese, seasonings and half and half. Simmer until it is the desired consistency. If it gets too thick, don't worry. Just add a bit of the pasta water and stir. Add a protein if desired and serve over the cooked pasta.
I garnished with a bit of finely chopped parsley.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...