Sunday, February 12, 2012

Salt and Vinegar Potato Wedges

I'm still trying to get over a cold and instead of doing anything productive Friday at home, I read a book and ate potatoes. These potatoes to be exact with a dip of sour cream and chives. It was so good and I gave it a bit thumbs up...and the Little Mouths didn't get any, because they were in school.


So in the interest of my do nothing day, I was messing around on the internet. Pinternet, I might as well call it because it seems I'm spending most of my time these days on Pinterest. It's great for many things, but what I love about it is that its such a good jumping off place for ideas.

Friday, I was pining away when I saw figerling potatoes that had been parboiled in vinegar, then grilled. I love vinegar, but I don't put it on fries because it makes them soggy.  I didn't have any fingerline potatoes, but I had some getting-past-their-prime russets in my potato bin so I decided to give it a shot. I did peal these, but only because they were starting to get eyes. Eeek!

I would have left the skins on if I would have had the fingerlings or even some nice yukon golds...

Oh, and it was 14 degrees and snowing, so no grill. I used the broiler, added a healthy dose of pepper and some thyme.


YUM!


Parboil potatoes in one part vinegar, two parts water. If you really like vinegar, you could skip the water, but I wasn't sure. Next time I might do a 1:1 ratio.

I boiled them in a small saucepan with just enough liquid to cover. I also just used the cheapest vinegar I owned, the stuff I normally only buy to clean with, but I think it they would be amazing if you want to spend the extra $ and use a flavored vinegar.

When they were just starting to be a bit tender, I drained them and patted them dry. Then I sprayed a baking sheet with olive oil, added the potato slices in a single layer, brushed the tops with olive oil and added salt and pepper.

I broiled until starting to brown, then flipped and browned the other side.  Very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...