Friday, February 4, 2011

Food Find Friday -- Turnips!

Fabulous Food Find!





The only thing I LOVE LOVE LOVE more than bread and ice cream are potatoes. I like them baked and fried, boiled or broiled. I don’t think there is any way I don’t like a potato except raw. Especially mashed. I love me some mashed potatoes, and for all of you other mashed potato lovers out there…what’s the one thing that could make them better? What if you could make them creamier, sweeter and silkier? How about if you could substantially reduce the calories?

It’s easy to do, substitute half of the potatoes with Turnips! Who knew? Not me, that’s for sure, or I’d have been adding turnips to my potatoes for years! Here is the breakdown of nutritional information from a random internet site.

Potatoes
1 cup diced, raw

Fat 0
Carbs 24g
Fiber 2g
Protein 2g
Calories 106


Turnips
1 cup diced, raw

Fat 0
Carbs 8g
Fiber 2g
Protein 1g
Calories 36

Now that I had my turnips, I wasn’t quite sure what to do with them. I knew I had to cook them somehow, so I peeled them with my potatoes and chunked them in the pot. The potatoes cooked, but the turnips were still a bit, al dente to say the least. The weird part was that the potatoes sank and the turnips floated. I’m sure there is some scientific reason behind that, but it worked out pretty well because I could just skim those hard little turnips off the top. I put them into a smaller saucepan with fat free half and half and a little butter and cooked them until they were soft, but it took a long time. About 20 minutes or so. Then, since they were a different consistency than the potatoes and I couldn’t find my potato masher, to flatten them, I put the whole mess in my blender and make a turnip smoothie.

I added that to the cooked potatoes in my stand mixer and gave it a whirl. What was left in that bowl was a little piece of silky potato heaven. SO GOOD! Try it, you’ll be surprised. I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...