Thursday, February 24, 2011

Rockin' Recipe ~ Homemade Ketchup!


Long before I had kids and knew how they could change your life, I visited the friend of a friend and saw, on her table, a bottle of homemade ketchup. I vowed if I ever made ketchup, that I would hang it up. I’d be hopelessly old and seriously not have enough to do with myself.


Then the Little Mouths came into my life.

And let me tell you what. Being wholly responsible for two of God’s own miracles changes a person. I know it changed me. My lovely Little Mouths have caused a carefree, convertible driving, red toenails kinda girl to morf into a minivan mama sorely in need of a pedicure. Who makes ketchup. For blender week.

And do you know the funniest thing? I’m okay with it. Really.

Worcestershire Tomato Ketchup (Inspired by Guy Fieri)

3 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup sweet onion

8 Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped up

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons brown sugar

Salt and pepper

½ teaspoon dried mustard



Saute onions in the oil over medium heat. Cook until brown and caramelized. Add the tomatoes, and garlic and cook for a few minutes, just to soften the vegetables. Then add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.

I put the whole mess in the blender and let her whirl. I didn’t have high hopes. This looked like a hot mess (LITERALLY!)before I put in in the blender, but after a few seconds. Viola! Rich, beautiful, KETCHUP!

Thumbs up from Big Mama and a big Amen! From the littlest of mouths.


This posted linked to these GREAT blogs...Looky Here~!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the recipe!!
    I'll be trying this one for sure.
    Making ketchup is for young and old alike!
    But I know what you mean - it's amazing how we change our thoughts on things once the 'little blessings' come along :-D
    grace & joy..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    I was never into home- made sauces,but I did make jam for a while. It makes me smile to see my eldest daughter and her family living on a farm, growing her own veges and preserving, pickling and making her own pasta sauce.She loves it. Not bad for a city girl.
    Enjoy your kechup.
    God Bless
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite movies is one with Doris Day and James Garner called "The Thrill of If All". In it, she makes her own ketchup. I've always wanted to because of that movie, but I never have. I'm either too lazy or too inept.

    Probably both.

    Maybe I'll actually try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!

    Stopping by to say hi and to follow.
    You can visit me here- http://poshonabudget.com/2011/02/tgif.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've actually been looking for a recipe like this. This sounds delicious - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something I've never considered ... making my own ketchup. :) High five to those who do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this sounds great... love Worcestershire sauce! I found you at EKat's Friday Potluck and wanted to invite you to link your MOST POPULAR recipe so far in our, Star Recipes Collection. We also have a regular Monday linky party, Make a Food-"e"-Friend Monday, which I'd love for you to contribute any recipe you'd like when you can (can never be too many great recipes, right?!) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...