Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ode to the Humble Smoothie

 Once upon a time, Big Mama was getting WAY to big.  Big Mama tried every diet in the world, but to no avail.  Big Mama lost and gained the same 50 pounds three times in the last three years.  Big Mama knew she should eat less, but she was HUNGRY!  Since eating less wasn't working she had to think of a new plan and she thought and she thought.  Then she realized, while she might never be a Little Mama, if she didn't want to stay an extra-large one something was going to have to give.

If I didn't want to eat less...then I had to eat better.

Both of my Little Mouths are slim and Big Mama had often joked if she just followed the Biggest Little Mouth around and ate what she did, she'd be perfectly proportioned like her.  But maybe that wasn't a joke.  BLM (Big Little Mouth) eats her weight in fruits and veggies nearly every week.  No joke!  The kid eats non-stop.  But she doesn't eat french fries or cheese burgers.  She eats pretty much every fruit or veggie and has a whole crisper drawer to herself. Thus our year of learning to eat our veggies...and our new challenge. 

But some challenges are easier said than done.  Changing from a carb addict to a veggie lover is easier said than done.  I haven't avoided eating veggies for 40 years because I didn't know where the produce section was, I didn't eat them because I didn't like them.  At least not the ways I'd been served them in the past, and goodness knows I didn't cook them myself.

Then one day while searching for an ice cream substitute, I got out my trusty blender.  It was GREAT!  I was so proud of myself I posted the recipe.  Ssmoooooottttthhiiiieeee anyone?  The someone posted a comment that totally showed me up.  Hers had spinach and kale!  Gack!

It took me a few weeks to work up to it, but I met her challenge (thank you Sara!) and before long I was sippy my leafy green veggies like a pro.  And do you know what else?  I started losing weight and gaining energy.  I wasn't starved at 10 AM and super-sizing at lunch.  I was jonesing for caffeine at 2:00 to avoid falling asleep at my desk.  Hmmmmm.  My nutrient filled breakfast seemed to be making a huge difference.

I am also down to only one cup of coffee a day...sometimes two. But from a solid 6-8 cup a day person, that's amazing in and of itself.  And I didn't even try to do that.  It just happened.

So thank you SARA for the inspiration and the challenge (even though you didn't know you were issuing one when you shared the recipe)  This Big Mama has definably changed for the better.


Good Morning Smoothie

Chuck anything good for you in the blender with some yogurt, a frozen banana, fruit or veggie juice and some green leafy veggie.  Warning!  Do not use arugula by accident.  Makes a very gross smoothie.  Do use up some of the produce that is just past it's prime.  It's a great way to keep less than fresh fruit and veggies from going to waste.  If you don't have time to use them, just put them in the freezer and use anytime.

My morning smoothie recipe changes daily, but usually looks something like this.

1 frozen banana












3/4 cup Greek yogurt

Fage Total Greek Yogurt, (500g) 17.6oz







1/2 cup carrot or green goddess raw juice



1 cup spinach or kale


1/2 cup orange juice (for the sweetness)

1/2-1 cup leftover or frozen fruit

This make a big 20 oz cup to go and is enough to fuel me through the morning.  I drink it on my way to work.

Check out my page "Looky Here" to visit all of the awesome places this recipe is shared!

3 comments:

  1. Yowza! I'm going to try this recipe for sure! Is this all that you eat fro breakfast? Glad I found your site!
    xo,
    Sena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, not gonna lie. EEWWWW. But, I'm gonna trust you on this one and I'm going to have to try it! This BIG Mamma needs a major weight overhaul. I'll let you know when I try it! Thanks for posting how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY! We love smoothies at our house and often load them with spinach, cabbage, flax seed, oatmeal. The base is usually whatever fruit we feel like plus some soy milk and ice. My oldest daughter doesn't like the taste of yogurt in smoothies so we typically don't put them in. I need to buy some Kale. The wonderful thing is you can't taste all those veggies..Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...