Sunday, February 20, 2011

Soup-er Sunday Smokey Sweet Potato Bisque

Today was one of those days that didn't really go like I thought it would. It's BLENDER week, here at Big Mama, Little Mouths and I'd planned on making Shrimp Bisque to kick it off. In preparation, I peeled my sweet potatoes and had the onions on to caramelize.

Then the phone rang. The Girly Little Mouth was desperately needed at a friend's house...then it rang again and my aunt had some skillet steaks that needed to be used today and she was bogged down with school work, could I cook them for dinner.

Okay, this Big Mama can roll. No problem. Change of plans and two new opportunities to create recipes. We're not huge red meat eaters, so I didn't really know what to do with the steaks. The photo on the label showed the thin steaks bubbling in a pan with onions...so I did that. Added some wine and some stock and made a nice sauce. Good to go.

But I still had these sweet potatoes and onions...not enough from mashed sweet potatoes, I decided to whip up a soup as planned. But I decided not to add the shrimp, we were already getting plenty of protein with the steak. So, a new favorite recipe! Big and Little Mouths both gave it a thumbs up!

Smokey Sweet Potato Bisque

1 large onion
1 clove garlic
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 large sweet potatoes
1 Teaspoon smoky paprika
1 Teaspoon chili powder
1 cup white wine
4 cups chicken stock

Roughly chop onion and saute in olive oil in a dutch oven or stock pot.  Dice sweet potatoes and throw them in the pot with the garlic, paprika and chili powder.  Allow to caramelize slightly, then deglaze the pot with the white wine.  Stir to release all the yummy brown bits from the bottom on the pan and add the chicken stock.  Simmer until the sweet potatoes are mushy then blend in blender or with immersion blender.

Return to pot and bring back to a simmer.  Turn off heat, add fat free half and half and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...